Friday, March 4, 2011

What's the Purpose?

As I sit and create these silly little ATCs I wonder to myself if I'm wasting my time. Time that could be spent doing something valuable. Like my college class assignments. Or folding laundry. Or clipping coupons. I mean, it's not like I can sell these things. I'm not going to become an ATC millionaire or anything. I'm not going to have people knocking on my parlor door asking to see my gallery of art. So, what is the purpose? They are totally unnecessary. Or are they? If they are then so are Terry Redlin prints...and Mary Engelbreit calendars...and Hummel figurines...and Justin Young sculptures...and music...and friendship. Because you see, none of these things is needed to survive this life on earth. However, can you imagine a life void of color and design and texture? Can you envision living your life without a good friend or two? Can you even think about living this life without your faith? I can't. Now, I certainly cannot compare my art with any of the great artists' work but creating these miniature pieces brings me pleasure. C.S. Lewis said it all when he said, "Friendship is unnecessary, like philosophy, like art.... It has no survival value; rather it is one of those things that give value to survival."

1 comment:

Nana Shirl said...

If one does things in moderation that is pleasing to God N ones soul...how could you say you are wasting time? I think not sista..design n create beauty...I have spoken